We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
- Can you give some background about Casper Nova Hybrid mattress collection?
Casper Nova Hybrid was introduced in 2020 and is made out of a luxurious comfort layer of AirScape polyfoam, a polyfoam transitional layer separated into hardiness zones for varied support levels, and a pocketed coil foundation layer. A cover consisting of polyester, cotton, rayon, and spandex is also included with the Mattress. With a thickness of 12-inches, Nova Hybrid has a medium soft feel, and it is one of the softest mattresses in the Casper family.
- Describe briefly what sizes are available in Casper Nova Hybrid mattresses?
Casper Nova Hybrid is available in all regular sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King
Pros & Cons
- Who would you recommend Casper Nova Hybrid mattress to?
The Casper Nova Hybrid mattresses are recommended for sleepers across a wide range. The mattresses are suitable for those who
- Want to sink in a soft mattress with a luxurious feel
- Suitable for strict side sleepers
- Who should avoid the Casper Nova Hybrid mattress collection?
The Casper Nova Hybrid mattresses are not recommended for sleepers who
- Sleepers who like firm mattresses
- More expensive for shoppers with a limited budget
- Heavy sleepers may experience more sagging than warranted
- Stomach sleepers wanting extra support
- How firm do you think Casper Nova Hybrid Mattress are?
Whether a mattress feels firm or soft is relatively subjective. All beds should support body weight, promote healthy spinal alignment, and ensure comfortable and restful sleeping. The majority of Casper mattresses have a medium-firm feel. Casper Nova Hybrid is the brand’s only Mattress, which sits on the softer side of the firmness scale. Softer mattresses are most significant for side sleepers with an average weight.
The top layer of perforated foam, followed by another layer of perforated AirScape polyfoam layer split into three zones – softer on the side and firmer in the middle creates a good balance and spinal alignment for side sleepers, back sleepers as well as stomach sleepers. The third layer is a memory foam layer with a unique configuration – it is split into seven bands with alternating bands of ridges, which is expected to provide precise pressure relief across the entire body surface -whether the shoulder or neck area, hip/waist area and lower half of the body.
The softness of the plush cover and the foam configuration provides a delicate balance between a “sinking in” feeling of luxury versus pressure relief across the entire body area. However, for individuals who weigh more than 230lbs, the Mattress may prove soft, and it may create issues with spinal alignment.
Material & Construction
- Can you walk us through some of the unique technology, design and materials used in construction of Nova Hybrid Mattress? Why it is so important?
Casper Nova Hybrid mattress has a complex build, which includes two layers of perforated breathable Polyurethane foams, then a layer of memory foam with a support layer of innerspring coils encased in foam.
- Layer 1: As with all Casper mattresses, Nova Hybrid has a top layer of proprietary Airscape foam that has small perforations, allowing heat to escape and air to circulate. It also has a plush, fluffy soft feel.
- Layer 2: Beneath the first layer is the second layer of another Airscape perforated foam that is slightly firmer and has three ergonomic zones that help adjust the spine and provide more support. The zones are softer around the shoulders and firmer in the areas where the back and hips are located. This design is intended to give additional lumbar support while also making the Mattress suitable for combination sleepers.
- Layer 3: Beneath the two layers of breathable perforated foam layers is a layer of memory foam. The memory foam layer provides targeted support to the body. The layer is divided into seven zones with alternating bands of shaped cuts that help to strengthen the supporting layer above – 3 zones of support to help gently sink shoulders and cradle hips for ergonomic spinal alignment plus, four more zones of support to add more pressure relief under shoulders, and more clearance under the waist, lower back, and hips to help align the spine.
- Layer 4: Like all Casper hybrid mattresses, Nova Hybrid’s base layer is a pocket-coil unit housed in a base polyfoam that improves the support around the perimeter of the Mattress while providing a solid and robust base for the Mattress. This foam layer around the coil provides extra edge support. The springs offer bounce and support while the rings are in the pocket, which helps to minimize movement transmission.
- Cover:All of these layers are encased in a plush, ventilated cushioned blanket-like cover that adds to the comfort of the bed. It’s made of a velvety soft, four-way stretch fabric that’s made from a combination of polyester, cotton, rayon, and spandex for a luxuriously cuddly feel.
For sleepers looking for an additional cooling effect, Casper provides a cooling package marketed as Snow Cooling Package. The Snow Cooling package has three components. The top cover is infused with a phase-changing material which gives it a cool sensation. It adds a layer of Airscape perforated foam coated with a cooling gel followed by six strips of HeatDelete™ Bands that act like thermal highways, directing heat away from the sleeper’s body to help and enable better heat dissipation.
|Casper Nova Hybrid Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Q1. How would you rate Casper Nova Hybrid from a repositioning & responsiveness perspective?
Repositioning means that sleepers can change position quickly. Memory foam mattresses and softer foam mattresses make it harder for the sleeper to shift positions with the sinking-in feature. The top two layers are soft foam followed by a memory foam layer; even though both the foam and memory foam layers have zoned support, the sleeper will sink in. The base layer with pocket coil layers adds bounciness and responsiveness, but the overall feeling is of snug, comfortable embrace by the Mattress. Sleepers will likely have difficulty rolling over or switching positions. Casper Nova Hybrid is better than a standard memory foam mattress as far as responsiveness is concerned but is not as good as a pure innerspring mattress.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
Q2: Does Casper Nova Hybrid provide superior comfort, back support and pressure relief?
Evaluating whether a mattress provides good back support or spinal alignment and pressure relief are extremely important in choosing a mattress. The Basics of good back support are maintaining proper spinal alignment while you sleep. The Mattress should keep your spine in roughly the same position it’s in when you’re standing. When a mattress presses back against your body with too much force in a concentrated area, the result can be localized pain, soreness, loss of circulation, excessive tossing, and other problems. In general, such “pressure points” are the most significant concern for side sleepers since that’s the position in which your body’s weight is distributed over the smallest surface area. It is less of a problem for back sleepers as the bodyweight is spread over a wider surface area, creating fewer pressure points. Pressure relief refers to a bed’s ability to alleviate tension at the pressure points concentrated in the shoulders, hips, and lower back region of the body. Unfortunately, no mattress delivers both things equally well for all sleepers. In particular, spinal alignment and pressure relaxation capabilities will vary across sleepers with different weights, body shapes, and sleep positions.
Generally, foam mattresses, particularly memory foam mattresses, tend to cradle the sleeper’s body, redistributing body weight. It can help relieve aches and soreness in the areas that exert the most force on the Mattress. Casper Nova Hybrids does a tremendous job for pressure relief, specifically for sleepers who sleep sideways.
The upper layer is made of perforated breathable foam that is soft and comforting. Still, it doesn’t wrap around the body, and there are small aerations along the material’s surface that allow for heat escape, enabling comfortable sleeping. An additional layer of perforated foam further enhances the cooling effect. The third layer is a layer of memory foam with seven ergonomic zones – 3 zones of support to help gently sink shoulders and cradle hips for ergonomic spinal alignment plus, four more zones of support to add more pressure relief under shoulders, and extra support under the waist, lumbar region to help align the spine. The three layers work in conjunction to provide a relaxed setting and relieve pressure around the critical points in the body based on sleeping posture. The bottom layer of encased pocketed coil springs provides enhanced pressure relief and improved motion isolation.
One of the key features is that the Mattress provides separate zones for support. Zoned Support™ means that the middle memory foam layer has been divided into different zones, all of which feature slightly different firmness- firmer under the hips, waist, and lower back while being softer under the shoulders to help support proper support spine alignment. This combo is especially lovely for any sleepers suffering from lower back or shoulder pain; because it will help keep the spine in a healthy alignment without creating stiffness in the shoulder area.
People suffering from chronic back pain need significantly more pressure relief than only a soft mattress can provide. Casper Nova Hybrid is high up there on the softness scale serves the purpose well. It also aids in relieving shoulder pain due to its zoned support. It provides contouring, sinkage, and pressure relief around the shoulders. It also eases pressure on the hips for side sleepers and relieves hip pain. If you prefer something extra soft, you may want to look at the Casper Nova Hybrid Snow.
- Back Sleepers: People who sleep on their back tend to require more support — particularly around the hips, which may sink into softer mattresses and prevent proper spinal alignment. Sleepers sleeping on Casper Nova Hybrid mattress may be concerned that being plush, the medium soft Mattress may not provide enough firmness or back support. However, the pocket coils in the base area mitigate this concern largely. However, individuals on the heavier side may see some challenges.
- Side sleepers: Side sleepers will greatly appreciate Casper Nova Hybrid. With the plush comfort layer and multiple zoned support layers, the Mattress will absorb the pressure and provide a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Stomach sleepers: Getting good spinal alignment for stomach sleepers can often be trickier as the hips can tend to sink too far with some mattresses. Stability and support are essential for “stomach sleepers” to not cause back or hip pain. Casper Nova Hybrid is suitable for lightweight stomach sleepers with a medium-soft configuration. Still, it may create challenges for heavy sleepers who may experience sinking in and make a spinal curvature.
- Heavy sleepers: For heavy people, the softness of the top with an innerspring coil layer may not provide enough uplift, and there is a likelihood that the stomach area could sink in.
Cooling & Temperature Control
Q3: How would you rate cooling and overall temperature control characteristics of Casper Nova Hybrid Mattresses?
Memory foam mattresses are generally thought of as retaining heat. The sleepers sink into the memory foam layer, creating a snug feeling and traps heat. However, the memory foam layer is not on top of the Casper Nova Hybrid mattress. Plus, Casper uses proprietary technology, AirScape™, which provides for a layer of perforated, breathable foam as the top layer of the Mattress that increases airflow and circulates air to dissipate heat. The Hybrid base with resilient springs also helps in air movement.
Advanced cooling is available with the Nova Hybrid Snow. The features include:
- Heat Delete Band: Thermal Layer to remove heat for a more extended period
- QuickCool Cover: Gives an incredible sensation as one slips in
- Cooling gel on a top of breathable, perforated foam helps sleepers to enjoy an extended calm sleep
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
Q4: Does Casper Nova Hybrid Mattresses provide reasonable motion isolation when sharing bed with others?
This category rates how well a mattress can prevent other sleepers in a bed from feeling when their sleep partner rolls over, shifts, or changes positions.
The motion isolation on the Nova Hybrid is excellent. The thick comfort foam minimizes most transfer when a partner moves or gets in and out of bed. Due to its coils, many of which cause a significant bounce on the surface, hybrids can be tricky in motion isolation. Softer hybrids, such as this one, tend to fare significantly better in this area than their firmer counterparts.
Q5: How would you rate edge support of Casper Nova Hybrid Mattresses?
Edge support is an essential consideration for couples, as poor performance limits both sleeping and sex to closer to the center of the bed, rather than its perimeter. Getting in and out of bed may also disturb your partner since the bed may bend when sitting on the edge. It is a common fact with all-foam mattresses. However, the Nova hybrid with pocketed coils provides hardier edge support than all-foam mattresses. Even with the softer foam in the upper comfort layer in Nova Hybrid’s base, support foam works well to keep the edges secure so that there is no risk of slipping off if you sleep on the edge of the Mattress.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
- Who would you recommend Casper Nova Hybrid mattress based on individual sleeping style?
- Side sleepers:Side sleepers will greatly appreciate Casper Nova Hybrid. Nova Hybrid with the customized and targeted seven ergonomic zones in the memory foam layer provides excellent body contouring with responsiveness, providing an extremely satisfying sleep experience. Nova Hybrid is the top-of-the-line Mattress from Casper. Three layers of perforated foam and seven zoned/targeted memory foam layers will allow side sleepers to have soft and pressure relieving for their hips and shoulders appropriate alignment across the body. The shoulders should be able to sink deep when lying on your side so that the spine can run in a straight line. The wide pelvis should also sink in, while the legs, the waist, chest, and head should be given more support.
- Back Sleepers: People who sleep on their back tend to require more support — particularly around the hips, which may sink into softer mattresses and prevent proper spinal alignment. Back sleepers also need minor pressure relief, as the position causes fewer pressure points than other sleep styles. Nova Hybrid with the customized and targeted seven ergonomic zones in the memory foam layer provides excellent body contouring but, with responsiveness, provides a highly satisfying sleep experience. However, individuals on the heavier side may see some challenges.
- Stomach sleepers:Stability and support are particularly important for “stomach sleepers” to not cause back or hip pain. Achieving good spinal alignment for stomach sleepers can often be trickier as the hips can sink too far with some mattresses. Stability and support are crucial for “stomach sleepers” to not cause back or hip pain. With a medium-soft configuration, Casper Nova Hybrid is suitable for lightweight stomach sleepers. Still, it may create challenges for heavy sleepers who may experience sinking in and make a spinal curvature.
- Heavy sleepers:Heavy people apply a lot of force and pressure on the bed. The Nova Hybrid with pocketed coil springs is likely to absorb the weight and provide a comfortable sleep. For heavy people, the softness of the top with an innerspring coil layer may not provide enough uplift, and there is a likelihood that the stomach area could sink in.
|Twin||38 W x 75 L x 12 H||60 lbs||$1395||$1046||25%|
|Twin XL||38 W x 80 L x 12 H||62 lbs||$1795||$1795||0%|
|Full||53 W x 75 L x 12 H||84 lbs||$2145||$2145||0%|
|Queen||60 W x 80 L x 12 H||89 lbs||$2295||$2295||0%|
|Cal King||72 W x 84 L x 12 H||127 lbs||$2895||$2895||0%|
|King||76 W x 80 L x 12 H||125 lbs||$2895||$2895||0%|
Coupons & Deals
- Save up to 25% on mattresses & bedding bundles.