We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
- Can you give some background about the Casper Original mattress collection?
Casper Original mattress is suitable for all sleepers and sleeping postures. The mattress is constructed in 10 inches of memory foam arranged into three finely designed layers. Casper produces coming-of-age mattresses. Their Original collection responds to the movements of sleepers during sleep. In the meantime, it also supports their weight.
- Describe briefly what sizes are available in Casper Original mattresses?
Casper Original mattresses are available in six different sizes, viz. Twin Original, Twin XL Original, Full Original, Queen Original, King Original, and California King Original.
Pros & Cons
- Who would you recommend Casper Original mattress to?
Casper Original offers a lot for sleepers.
It is recommended for sleepers, who
- Sleep in various positions and reposition frequently
- Relishes a feeling of floating on top of the mattress and not sinking into the mattress
- Prefers medium-firm mattresses
- Prefers to sleep mainly on the back
- Who should avoid the Casper Original mattress collection?
The Casper Original mattresses are not recommended for sleepers who
- Like the snug and soft feel of the mattress
- Tends to sleep right at the periphery of the bed
- How firm do you think Original Mattress are?
Whether a mattress feels firm or soft is relatively subjective. All beds should support body weight, promote healthy spinal alignment, and ensure comfortable and restful sleeping. Whether a mattress is fluffy and plush (what mattress companies call soft) or less so (what companies call firm) is purely defined based on personal preferences. Compared to the industry standard for determining firmness, Casper Original is classified as a medium firm. Even though it has a memory foam layer, it feels more like lying on top of the bed sensation versus sinking deeply into the mattress.
Foam materials are supple to the touch and provide excellent relief at the shoulders and hips; the overall design lifts the sleeper up and out of the structure. It creates more of an “on top” of the bed feel, which could work great for back and combination sleepers.
One of the unique features of Casper Original is that the middle memory foam layer, rather than having uniform firmness across the entire layer, is split into separate zones for support. Zoned Support™ is a proprietary design feature from Casper which provides different firmness across the layer- firmer under the hips, Lumber areas while being softer under the shoulders and leg area to help support proper spine alignment. This combo is excellent for any sleeper suffering from lower back or shoulder pain, as it will help align the spine in a healthy position without creating stiffness in the shoulder area.
Material & Construction
- Can you walk us through some of the unique technology, design and materials used in construction of Casper Original? Why it is so important?
Casper Original is made from 3 layers of foam. The upper layer is made of perforated breathable foam that is soft and comforting. Still, it doesn’t wrap around the body, and small aerations along the material’s surface allow for heat escape, enabling comfortable sleeping. The mid-layer is made of memory foam with three ergonomic zones to help gently sink shoulders and cradle hips for ergonomic spinal alignment. It is softer under the shoulders and firmer around the hips, waist, and lower back. The two layers work together to provide a relaxed setting and relieve pressure around the critical points in the body based on sleeping posture.
The bottom layer provides either dense polyfoam or encased pocketed coil springs. The Hybrid version with pocketed coil spring option offers enhanced pressure relief and improved motion isolation.
- Layer 1:The upper layer is made of perforated breathable foam Casper’s Airscape™ foam using proprietary technology, which increases airflow and helps to cool. Since foam retains heat, the perforations in the foam allow the heat to dissipate.
- Layer 2:The middle layer of memory foam provides separate zones for Support. Compared to Casper Element, with the memory foam layer to the top perforated layer, sleepers will find the top comfort layer soft and pressure relieving for their hips and shoulders and the middle memory foam layer deep body-contouring with appropriate alignment.
- Layer 3:The bottom layer is either of thick, dense polyurethane foam or a hybrid version of polyurethane foam with encased pocketed coil springs to provide a durable base to prevent sinking and sagging. The hybrid version with coil provides more bounciness and better responsiveness.
The three layers of the Casper mattress are wrapped in a very soft cover that has a knit quality but has some texture.
|Casper Original Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Q1. How would you rate Casper Original from a repositioning & responsiveness perspective?
Repositioning means that sleepers can change position quickly. Memory foam mattresses and softer foam mattresses make it harder for the sleeper to shift positions with the sinking-in feature. Since the top layer of the Casper Original is foam and not memory foam, it does not create a deep sinking-in feeling as a typical memory foam mattress may make, and sleepers can shift sleeping positions reasonably quickly. The Hybrid version improves over the foam version as it, with innerspring coils, reflects the pressure and provides bounciness.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
Q2: Does Casper Original provide superior comfort, back support, and pressure relief?
Evaluating whether a mattress provides good back Support or spinal alignment and pressure relief is extremely important in choosing a mattress. The key to good back support is maintaining proper spinal alignment while you sleep. The mattress should hold your spine in roughly the same position when you’re standing. When a bed presses back against your body with too much force in a particular area, the result can be a pain, tiredness, loss of circulation, and other issues. In general, such “pressure points” are the most significant concern for side sleepers since that’s the position in which your body’s weight is spread over the smallest surface area. Pressure relief refers to a bed’s ability to alleviate tension at the shoulders, hips, and lower back. The power of a given mattress to do this will generally depend on your weight, sleep position, and body shape. Another concern is for heavy-weight sleepers whether the foam version is firm enough to support the weight and not allow sagging to the bottom support layer.
Unfortunately, no mattress will deliver both things equally well for all sleepers. In particular, spinal alignment and pressure relaxation capabilities will vary across sleepers with different weights, body shapes, and sleep positions.
Cooling & Temperature Control
Q3: How would you rate cooling and overall temperature control characteristics of Casper Original Mattresses?
Heat retention is common in a Memory Foam mattress. The sleepers sink into the memory foam layer, creating a snug feeling and traps heat. However, the memory foam layer is not on top of the Casper Original mattress. And because the Casper is a firmer bed, the sleeper’s body doesn’t sink so deeply into it, leaving more of the body exposed to air and able to dissipate heat. Casper also used proprietary technology, AirScape™, which provides a layer of perforated, breathable foam as the mattress’s top layer that increases airflow and circulates air to dissipate heat.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
Q4: Does Casper Original Mattresses provide reasonable motion isolation when sharing bed with others?
This category rates how well a mattress can prevent other sleepers in a bed from feeling when their sleep partner rolls over, shifts, or changes positions. Casper Original mattresses with a foam support core absorb motion better than innerspring or pocketed coils. If you share your bed with a partner who tosses and turns regularly, the foam layer absorbs such movement reasonably well and lets you have an undisturbed sleep. Unlike the dense polyfoam version, the hybrid version with individually pocketed coils may be slightly less efficient with motion isolation.
Q5: How would you rate edge support of Casper Original Mattresses?
Foam mattresses aren’t typically very supportive along the very edge of the mattress—vital if one likes to sit on the edge of the bed or tends to sleep along the border. Edge support is also an important consideration for couples, as poor performance limits sleeping and sexual interaction closer to the center of the bed rather than its perimeter. Getting in and out of bed may also disturb the partner because the bed might sink or move when you move or sit on the edge. It is a common concern with all-foam mattresses. Casper Original tends to perform reasonably well in this area. However, the hybrid version with pocketed coils provided hardier edge support.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
- Who would you recommend Casper Original mattress based on individual sleeping style?
No matter what position we sleep in, we all need to sleep well so our bodies can heal and rejuvenate. The fact is, we shrink by one to two inches during the day. The compaction of the intervertebral discs explains this phenomenon following a loss of liquid. The fluid restores the discs during the night. For this to work, sleeping in a good position is essential. What do we mean by a good position? There are three sleep postures: Side, back, and stomach sleepers, and then some who may prefer a combination of such postures. All three have different needs and, therefore, specific experiences regarding the comfort, Support, and flexibility that the mattress should offer them.
- Side Sleepers: The majority of people sleep on the side. In this position, most of the body’s weight rests on the shoulders, hips, and legs. It is, therefore, important that the area of the body can sink properly into the mattress while the waist needs to be supported and the spine aligned. It avoids waking up with pain in the neck and back. The areas that support the neck and pelvis should be flexible and reduce pressure on these areas. The Casper mattress with memory foam ensures an ergonomic position and body contouring that protects the spinal curve allowing them to relax during the night; however, the shoulder section is likely firmer, which may create pressure points.
- Back Sleepers: If you are more of a sleeper lying on your back, it is also important that your shoulders and hips can sink far enough into the mattress to avoid painful arches. Casper Original mattress provides the required Support for the body to maintain spinal alignment.
- Stomach Sleepers: For stomach sleepers, a less flexible mattress with a good level of firmness is most suitable. It prevents your stomach from sinking in too far, which would reduce your body movements and lead to curvature. It leads to shoulder problems and tension in the neck. Casper Original having memory foam with a perforated top layer is a suitable choice except for sleepers who weigh more than 230 lbs. The hybrid version is preferred over the all-in foam version.
- Combination Sleepers-Those who alternate between various positions: Are you one of those people who exhaust the entire range of positions by going from back to stomach, then to the side, then back again in a single night? You are not alone. Studies reveal that most people change their position about 20 times a night. The Casper Original ensures an excellent distribution of the weight of the body. It reduces the load on the pressure points and offers the necessary support. Another plus point, the memory foam always returns to its original shape with each change of position. Even when you get up and thus prevents any hollow formation. However, for the sleeper who weighs more than 230 lbs., the base layer may not be as supportive as some of the more premier offerings.
|Twin||38 W x 75 L x 11 H||46 lbs||$895||$895||0%|
|Twin XL||38 W x 80 L x 11 H||50 lbs||$995||$995||0%|
|Full||53 W x 75 L x 11 H||67 lbs||$1195||$1195||0%|
|Queen||60 W x 80 L x 11 H||79 lbs||$1295||$1295||0%|
|King||76 W x 80 L x 11 H||101 lbs||$1695||$1695||0%|
|Cal King||72 W x 84 L x 11 H||100 lbs||$1695||$1695||0%|
Coupons & Deals
- Save up to 25% on mattresses & bedding bundles.