We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
Amerisleep AS5 MattressBy Brand: Amerisleep
Amerisleep deals Coupons
- $450 off on all mattresses using coupon.
- Save 30% on Adjustable Bed Packages.
Amerisleep is another renowned name in the bed-in-box brand. They cater to most sleepers with a simple design and proprietary memory foam and hybrid mattresses.
Amerisleep has expanded its mattress range and now supports six mattress lines:
- Amerisleep AS1 – Firmest
- Amerisleep AS2 – firm (Best for Back Sleepers)
- Amerisleep AS3 – medium (most popular)
- Amerisleep AS4 – soft
- Amerisleep AS5 – extra soft and most advanced
- Organica Mattress- Hybrid mattress with Natural Latex
This article will review the Amerisleep AS5 in-depth in terms of critical attributes, features, pros/cons, etc. Do keep reading to help you decide if it suits you or not.
The AS5 is the softest memory foam mattress by Amerisleep. It is suitable for side sleepers and combination sleepers. It is 14 inches thick and has multiple foam layers to provide contouring and a responsive feel. The mattress offers quite attractive cooling and pressure-relieving effects.
AS5 is available in 2 versions: All foam and Hybrid
Both the variants offer sleepers options based on sleeping position, weight, and personal preferences.
- Material: All-Foam and Hybrid
All-Foam: The All-Foam model has a soft and ultra-breathable cover. It has a Comfort Layer made of plant-based and open-celled Bio-Pur foam, an Active Flex foam layer that adds extra softness to the AS5 (without sacrificing support), a zoned Hive Transition Layer, and a Support Layer of dense Bio-core foam.
Hybrid: The Hybrid model has a soft and ultra-breathable cover. It has a Comfort Layer made of plant-based and open-celled Bio-Pur foam. An Active Flex foam layer adds extra softness to the AS5 (without sacrificing support). Pocketed Coil Layer for a responsive bounce with a firm Coil Edge Support. And a thin Transition Foam Layer for boosted support & structure for integrity.
- Sizes: Amerisleep AS5 is available in regular sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, Split King
- Pricing: Depends on size & variety
- Shipping & Delivery: Free
- Trial & Return: 100-day trial, full refund, and pickup
- Warranty: 20 years limited mattress warranty
Pros & Cons
AS5 is the softest mattress in Amerisleep’s impressive mattress range. The AS5 caters to strict side sleepers. Apart from the AS3, the AS5 is also Amerisleep’s chart-topping mattress. It offers a lot to its customers.
A recommendation is for sleepers, who
- Belong to side sleeping community and are combination sleepers
- Adore a soft, cozy mattress feel
- Prefer thick mattresses over thin
- Are suffering from chronic pain
- Like to use plant-based material
- Want to enjoy a lavish and expensive mattress
And less ideal for sleepers, who
- Back and stomach sleepers
- Our heavyweight, as it is too soft
- Are having a fixed budget- added features such as the Active Flex foam layer have a notably higher price tag.
It might be subjective to tell if a mattress is firm or soft. All beds should support weight, promote appropriate spinal alignment, and give a comfortable and restful night’s sleep. Whether a mattress is fluffy and spongy (what mattress companies call soft or plush) or less so is a matter of personal preference (what firms call firm).
AS5 comes in 2 varieties– an all-memory foam mattress and a hybrid.
AS5 All-Foam has a soft feel compared to the industry standard for defining firmness. It is the softest mattress from the stable of Amerisleep. For light and average-weight side sleepers, this is the best firmness. The top layer of Bio-Pur foam provides mild body contouring and pressure alleviation, while the spine feels well supported. The AS5 is one of the finest mattresses for side sleepers among the Amerisleep series.
AS5 Hybrid is also a soft memory foam hybrid mattress that offers a great combination of comfort and support. The Bio-Pur foam comfort layer is quite soft, yet you can immediately feel the more rigid support layers beneath as you press into the foam. The AS5 Hybrid provides a fantastic blend of comfort and support, making it a side, combo, and heavy sleeper. Our hips sink precisely the appropriate amount into the foam comfort layer, and the foam gives some lovely body contouring. Meanwhile, the coils’ zoning provides extra support under the lumbar area, assisting in maintaining good spinal alignment. The Active Flex foam layer gives AS5 more softness without losing support. It instantaneously cradles you and rebounds in seconds as you adjust positions when you lie down.
Note: the measure of firmness is relative to the body weight. We are giving the industry standards related to moderate-weight persons.
Material & Construction
The 14-inch high AS5 All-Foam mattress consists of the following layers:
- Cover: The top surface consists of ultra-breathable material called Celliant to prevent heat retention. It makes the mattress ideal for people who sleep hot. The layer is also soft-to-touch and lightweight.
- Layer 1: This 3-inch layer with a density of 4lb contours the body offers an attractive cooling effect due to its open cell structure of Bio-Pur. It also helps in relieving pressure points.
- Layer 2: This is an extra comfort layer. This 2-inch Active Flex foam layer helps contour and makes the mattress responsive. It provides an added softness and, at the same time, prevents sinkage.
- Layer 3: This is a transition layer with HIVE technology. This 2-inch layer provides added support through its zoned system. This layer gives your hips and shoulders extra cushioning and supports your head, back, and legs.
- Layer 4: This 7-inch Bio-Core layer makes the mattress durable and provides overall support. It prevents excessive sinkage and sagging due to pressure.
The 14-inch high AS5 Hybrid mattress has a Pocketed Coil Layer and another additional layer:
Cover, Layer 1, and Layer 2 are all the same as the AS5 All-Foam version
- Layer 3: This layer is 8 inches thick and offers excellent comfort, responsiveness, and pressure relief. The coils are arranged to offer zoned support, relieving pressure points. It also keeps the spine properly aligned. The rings also offer a fair amount of air circulation to prevent heat build-up. Coils at the edge are firmer, helping in motion isolation.
- Layer 4: This 1-inch polyfoam layer makes the mattress durable and provides a base to the coils. It gives support and prevents wear & tear.
|Amerisleep AS5 Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Due to the extreme softness of AS5, there can be some obstacles in terms of mobility on the bed. The comfort layer consisting of Active Flex foam has more responsiveness to counter the block. We can say the responsiveness and repositioning are moderate to low with AS5.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
Thanks to this AS5 mattress, the joints are cushioned, and pressure is eased in critical areas. The mattress’s zoned firmness relieves the shoulders and hips while also supporting the head, back, and legs—this aids in maintaining proper spine alignment. The top cover is ultra-breathable, while the Bio-Pur layer keeps you cool all night. The responsive Bio-Pur layer prevents heat build-up and reduces pressure sores. Just beneath the Bio-Pur layer, the Active Flex foam layer gives more softness to the mattress without losing support. It instantaneously cradles you and rebounds in seconds as you adjust positions when you lie down.
Maintaining an excellent spinal position while sleeping is essential for healthy back support. It implies that the mattress must carry the same spine posture as when you are standing. Pain, discomfort, lack of circulation, repeated tossing, and other issues can occur when a mattress pushes back against your body with too much power in a concentrated region. In general, side sleepers should be most concerned with “pressure points,” as this is the position in which your body’s weight is dispersed across the lowest surface area. The capacity of a bed to relieve stress in the shoulders, hips, and lower back is referred to as pressure release. The power of a mattress to accomplish this is often determined by your weight, sleeping position, and body structure.
Unfortunately, no mattress will provide both things equally well to all sleepers. In particular, spinal alignment and pressure-relieving abilities vary among sleepers with different weights, body shapes, and sleep positions.
- Back Sleepers: The AS5 is Amerisleep’s softest mattress, which is why most back sleepers are not much liked, notably heavier folks. They might find their hips sink in too much and pull the spine out of alignment.
The AS5 Hybrid also is soft and not ideal for back sleepers. However, some lightweight back sleepers may prefer AS5 (both models).
- Side sleepers: Side sleeping on the Amerisleep AS5 and AS5 Hybrid is quite pleasant. The thick layer of Bio-Pur foam cushions the joints, resulting in nearly no strain on the shoulders and hips for sleepers. Folks who like a plusher mattress prefer AS5 due to its Active Flex soft foam. Furthermore, the coils’ zoning provides additional support under the lumbar area, which aids in maintaining good spinal alignment.
- Stomach sleepers: Both the all-foam and hybrid varieties of the Amerisleep AS5 do not feel like a good fit for stomach sleeping. The hips sink deep into the mattress due to the thick Bio-Pur foam and Active Flex layer, which push the spine out of alignment. Folks who sleep on their stomach may want to opt for a more supportive mattress.
- Heavy sleepers: On the Amerisleep AS5, heavyweight folks get spinal support and pressure reduction. It provides a fantastic blend of comfort and support, ideal for heavy sleepers. The Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid, with its zoned coils, provides appropriate spinal support for heavyweight back sleepers.
Cooling & Temperature Control
With excellent motion isolation and contouring, there is a flip side too. Amerisleep AS5 is mainly of foam. The foam tends to retain the heat. The breathable cover, as well as the Bio-Pur, adds cooling to the bed. But the soft AS5 mattress sinks and contours the body very well, making cooling a bit difficult. As the body sinks deep into the mattress, air circulation around the body reduces, and cooling is affected. Moreover, as the memory foam is thicker and there is a layer of Flex foam that can hold up more heat during sleeping at night. So, AS5 may pose some issues with hot sleepers.
There are various design aspects on the Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid mattress that help it sleep cooler: The open-celled Bio-Pur foam provides for more incredible ventilation than standard foams, and the coils allow for plenty of airflows throughout the mattress’s middle.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
The mattress is quite good at minimizing motion transfer. The thick Bio-Pur layer and the Active Flex foam are very responsive and give a bouncy effect. The mattress absorbs motion and lets you sleep undisturbed. The foam layers also inhibit any noise produced due to moving around.
The AS5 mattress offers a satisfactory amount of edge support around its perimeter. The transition layers make the mattress edges quite supportive. The base layer allows the overall structure of the bed to remain intact. However, if you often sleep at the edges, the mattress may collapse slightly. Firmer mattresses offer more supportive edges.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
No matter what position we sleep in, we all need to sleep well so our bodies can heal and rejuvenate. The fact is, we shrink by one to two inches during the day. The compaction of the intervertebral discs explains this phenomenon following a loss of liquid. The fluid restores the discs during the night. For this to work, sleeping in a good position is essential. What do we mean by a good position? There are three sleep postures: Side, back, and stomach sleepers, and then some who may prefer a combination of such postures. Therefore, all three have different needs and specific experiences regarding the comfort, support, and flexibility that the mattress should offer them.
- Side sleepers: The majority of people sleep on the side. In this position, most of the body’s weight rests on the shoulders, hips, and legs. It is, therefore, important that the area of the body can sink properly into the mattress while the waist needs to be supported and the spine aligned. This avoids waking up with pain in the neck and back. The areas that support the neck and pelvis should be flexible and reduce pressure on these areas.
AS5 mattresses (both all-foam and Hybrid) are best suited for side sleepers. The zoned support and Active Flex foam layer relieve pressure points. The shoulders and hips sink just the right amount to keep the spine properly aligned.
- Back Sleepers:If you are more of a sleeper lying on your back, it is also vital that your shoulders and hips can sink far enough into the mattress to avoid painful arches.
The AS5 all-foam and Hybrid are not ideal for back sleepers due to their ultra-softness. However, these can perform well for lightweight back sleepers. The Active Flex foam layer provides some support such that you do not sink too much. This helps to relieve pressure around the shoulders and hips. The 4-inch Bio-Pur layer also cushions the lower back. However, heavy people sleeping on their backs might find the AS5 mattress uncomfortable.
- Stomach sleepers: In the case of sleeping on your stomach, a less flexible mattress with a good level of firmness is most suitable. It prevents your stomach from sinking in too far, which would reduce your body movements and lead to curvature. This leads to shoulder problems and tension in the neck.
The ultra-soft nature of AS5 makes the mattress unsuitable for stomach sleepers. The hips might sink too much, messing up with your spinal alignment. Stomach sleepers should opt for firmer mattresses for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Combination Sleepers-Those who alternate between various positions: Are you one of those people who exhaust the entire range of positions by going from back to stomach, then to the side, then back again in a single night? You are not alone. Studies reveal that most people change their position about 20 times a night.
Sleepers who prefer to stay on their sides more time than on back while changing position frequently will enjoy a relaxing sleep on AS5.
As it features a fantastic blend of pressure relief and support, the AS5 Hybrid has a lot to offer combination sleepers. Sleepers should be able to move about without feeling trapped in the bed if the mattress is more responsive.
- Heavy Sleepers: People of the heavyweight category, especially those who weigh more than 250 pounds, particularly back and stomach sleepers, will not get the optimal support from AS5. Side sleepers, however, will enjoy the pressure relief around the shoulders and the hip area.
Due to the added support provided by the coils, the AS5 Hybrid is preferable for heavyweight back sleepers.
|Twin||38 W x 74 L x 14 H||NA||$2099||$1649||21%|
|Twin XL||38 W x 80 L x 14 H||NA||$2149||$1699||21%|
|Full||54 W x 75 L x 14 H||NA||$2299||$1849||20%|
|Queen||60 W x 80 L x 14 H||NA||$2349||$1899||19%|
|King||76 W x 80 L x 14 H||NA||$2649||$2199||17%|
|Cal King||72 W x 84 L x 14 H||NA||$2649||$2199||17%|
Coupons & Deals
- $450 off on all mattresses using coupon.
- Save 30% on Adjustable Bed Packages.