We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
Brentwood Crystal Cove Flippable MattressBy Brand: Brentwood Home
Brentwood Home deals Coupons
- Save $150 On Mattresses. USE CODE: FALL.
- Save 15% On Our Cypress Mattress. No code needed
- Save 15% On Organic Yoga.
The Brentwood Crystal Clove is a flippable hybrid mattress that uses eco-friendly products made from sustainable materials. The Crystal Clove is a unique offering from the Brentwood Home with its dual-sided firmness. Different comfort materials are used on each side for a completely unique experience while sleeping on either side. The mattress is designed explicitly to offer therapeutic recovery and deep, restorative sleep. It balances the latest sleep technology by using activated charcoal-infused memory foam and precision-tuned coils with natural elements, such as 100% natural Dunlop latex. The luxurious gray Clover complements the Brentwood Home’s best-selling yoga and meditation cushions.
The Crystal Clove is Vegan certified, which implies that the mattress does not use wool or any other animal products or by-products. It comes at a price higher than other flippable hybrid mattresses and is available in all regular sizes of Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Split King.
In this article, we will review the Brentwood Crystal Clove in detail. The review below highlights the key attributes, features, and pros/cons of the mattress.
- Material: The Brentwood Crystal Clove mattress comes in two different sleep surfaces with different construction. While on one side, there is polyfoam and memory foam; on the other side is ventilated natural latex. A support core of pocketed coils is present on both sides. The cover is a blend of polyester, cotton, and spandex.
- Sizes: The Brentwood Crystal Clove is available in all sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, and Split King.
- Shipping & Delivery: Free shipping. In-home delivery, set up, and old mattress removal comes at additional costs.
- Trial & Return: 365-day trial, full refund, and pickup
- Warranty: Brentwood Crystal Clove offers a 25-year limited warranty
Pros & Cons
The mattress is recommended for sleepers, who
- Are eco-conscious
- Prefer changing their firmness needs
- Prefer sleeping on their sides will love the plush side
- Prefer sleeping on their back and stomach will enjoy the firm side
- Want a durable and long-lasting mattress
Not so ideal for sleepers, who
- Prefer a lighter mattress
- Are heavyweight
- Are tight on budget
Mattresses come in different shapes and sizes, but they should offer you comfort. Some people like them soft; others prefer a little more support; however, it should always provide comfort for sleeping soundly without any pain or discomfort when you lie down on the mattress! Firm mattresses support your back, while soft ones make sleeping easier by cradling your body as no other object can do! Firmness is personal and varies depending on what feels best when waking up.
The Brentwood Crystal Clove offers two firmness levels, one on each side. The restorative plush side is medium-soft and rates 4.5 on the firmness scale of 10. The plush side is charcoal-infused memory foam that is specifically designed to provide highly adaptive comfort and excellent pressure relief. On the other hand, the responsive firmer side is medium-firm and rates 6.5 on the firmness scale. This side uses organic Dunlop latex, which is naturally responsive and provides support in the areas you need the most. It offers gentle firmness with zoned pressure point relief. The pocketed coils help distribute your body weight evenly on the mattress, thus relieving your pressure points. These coils also provide zoned support to your hips and shoulders.
Material & Construction
The Brentwood Crystal Clove mattress uses eco-friendly and recycled materials for its construction. These include GOLS certified organic latex, Flow foam, charcoal-infused memory foam, and pocketed coils made from upcycled steel. The mattress combines layers of foam and coils.
The different layers of the Brentwood Crystal Clove are detailed below:
- Layer 1: This layer is an artfully designed cover in gray color. It comprises polyester, cotton, and spandex, which is soft and prevents the mattress from sagging. You cannot remove it.
- Layer 2: The mattress comes with comfort foam layers of different firmness on either side. The softer side consists of a 1-inch layer of Flow foam polyfoam, followed by 2 inches of charcoal-infused memory foam. These two layers in combination make the mattress breathable and pressure relieving. On the other hand, the medium-firm side features 2 inches of GOLS certified organic natural latex that provides bounce to the mattress.
- Layer 3: This layer comes in between the firm and the soft side of the mattress and consists of an 8-inch ActivEdge Quantum Edge coil unit that features up to 975 individually pocketed coils made from up-cycled steel that reinforces the perimeter and provides support and stability to the mattress.
The mattress is heavy and weighs between 80 (Twin) to 175 (Split King) pounds. Four upholstered, high-quality handles are elegantly framed on all sides of the mattress to flip the mattress.
|Brentwood Crystal Cove Flippable Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Repositioning describes the ability to change positions easily while sleeping. Latex is firmer than foam, making changing positions while sleeping on the softer side difficult. The foam will closely conform to the sleep surface, making movement difficult, whereas responsive latex on the firmer side will allow ease of movement to a large extent. The softer side may not be perfect for sleeping with your partner and trying to enjoy sex. The firmer side being bouncier will be enjoyable while switching positions and having sex.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
Buying a mattress can be difficult with a variety of them available in the market. The right mattress will give you relief from pain upon waking up. So, pain relief is vital while looking to buy a new mattress. Back pain can only be relieved when the spine is relaxed.
Spine alignment and pressure relief of a mattress are essential in deciding which one to buy. To maintain good back support while you sleep, your spine must remain straight, similar to when you are standing. For a given mattress to do this will generally depend on your weight, sleep position, and body shape. When a mattress, which could be extra firm, rather than absorbing body weight, may push back against your body resulting in pain, soreness, and other problems.
In general, “pressure points” are of greatest concern for side sleepers since the body’s weight is distributed over the smallest surface area. Pressure points are less of a concern for back sleepers as the body weight is spread over the entire body area, and force per unit area is minimized, creating fewer sharp pressure points. Pressure relief refers to a bed’s ability to alleviate tension at the pressure points concentrated in the body’s shoulders, hips, and lower back region. Unfortunately, no mattress delivers these two things equally well for all sleepers. Spinal alignment and pressure relief capabilities vary with weights, body shapes, and sleep positions across sleepers.
The Brentwood Crystal Clove with the different layers of certified organic latex, memory foam, and pocketed coils gives the ultimate comfort feel along with strong support. The organic layers make the mattress highly durable and breathable. The mattress being flippable caters to the need of different kinds of sleepers. The plush side cushions, cradles the pressure points and allow sleepers to sink slightly into the mattress, with the support layer offering sufficient support. The presence of latex makes the firm side bouncy and promotes spine alignment and back support.
The suitability of the mattress for different sleeping positions is detailed below:
- Back sleepers: Back sleepers need support under their spine and neck to sleep correctly. The Brentwood Crystal Clove is highly supportive to most back sleepers. The study coil and thick zoned latex layers keep the back and hips elevated. Average to heavyweight back sleepers will enjoy the firmer side, while the soft side will be comfortable for lightweight sleepers.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers put maximum weight on their hips and shoulders; thus, they prefer a soft mattress to cushion their hips and shoulders. Side sleepers will make the most from sleeping on the medium-soft side due to the memory foam layer. This side is not only soft but the contouring nature of memory foam will appeal to you if you are a side sleeper. Heavyweight side sleepers will prefer the firm side for maximum comfort and support.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers need a firm mattress that would enable them to keep their hips elevated to prevent sinkage. For stomach sleepers, the resilient feel of the latex side will be more preferred than the soft memory foam side. A firm but contour feeling will be very appealing if you sleep on your stomach. This side will offer you decent support and comfort to hold your spine in place. However, the softer side may be preferred by some lightweight stomach sleepers who love the memory foam feel.
- Heavy sleepers: Heavy sleepers need a firm mattress for restful sleep. Brentwood Crystal Clove will suit some heavyweight people too. The mattress will offer comfort and durability to big and tall people as well. The thick coil system will adapt to your body weight if you weigh on the heavy side and will make you feel comfortable while sleeping.
Cooling & Temperature Control
The most critical ambiance determining the quality and duration of the body’s recovery during sleep is a substantial decrease in the core body temperature. Brentwood Crystal Clove uses breathable materials like organic latex and memory foam that helps air circulate in the mattress’s interior, thus regulating temperature exceptionally. The pocketed coil unit promotes airflow throughout the mattress, thus maintaining a comfortable temperature.
The plush side comprises charcoal-infused memory foam. Charcoal is an effective cooling agent. It has many healing properties that include trapping toxins and chemicals in the body and flushing them out without reabsorption. The foam responds to body heat and offers adaptive comfort. On the other hand, the firmer side uses Dunlop latex, which is breathable, nontoxic, and antimicrobial. Thus, the mattress sleeps cool whichever side you flip it.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
Motion isolation describes if movement made across one side of the mattress is felt elsewhere on the mattress or not. A mattress with good motion isolation will neutralize activity made on one side of the bed, thus assisting partners in sleeping peacefully.
The Brentwood Crystal Clove Mattress offers average motion isolation. Both latex and coils have the tendency to transfer motion. The Crystal Clove absorbs motion better on the plush side than the firm side. The presence of memory foam in these layers absorbs motion better than the latex layers. The coil layer also prevents motion transfer across the mattress. It is unlikely that light sleepers sleeping on the soft side of Crystal Clove will be disturbed by their partner’s movement, but those who sleep on the firmer side and are easily woken may notice movements when their partner changes sides.
Edge support defines the support that a mattress can offer around its edges. Edge support helps in stabilizing the perimeter of the mattress. It is essential for couples sharing their bed with partners, as poor performance may disturb their partners while getting in and out of bed, and limit using the full bed for sleeping together and having sex.
The Brentwood Crystal Clove is a highly durable mattress with adequate edge support. The presence of pocketed coils made from recycled, single-tempered steel helps distribute your body weight evenly on the mattress surface and relieves your aching pressure points. Due to the presence of foam, the plush side of the mattress may slightly sink in when pressure is applied, but the firmer side will work better and offer sturdy edge support. The reinforced perimeters will thus allow you to sleep or sit near the edges without the fear of falling off.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
Sleeping peacefully at night is as essential as eating good and nutritious food. Sleeping peacefully helps in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Each one of us sleeps differently, and our needs for comfort and support are also very different and unique. The U.S. Center for Disease Control claims that 1 out of 3 people has insomnia leading to various health problems. The
Below is a detailed description of how Brentwood Crystal Clove is a good fit for different sleep positions.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers prefer a mattress that allows their hips and shoulders to sink in just the right amount, reducing pressure buildup. The plush side of Brentwood Crystal Clove is best suited to light and average-weight side sleepers as it offers support and cushion to the body, thus allowing hips and shoulders to sink in the right amount. On the other hand, heavyweight side sleepers will find the firm side more comfortable.
- Back Sleepers: Back sleepers need to look for a mattress that supports their back and spine. The firm side of Brentwood Crystal Clove offers excellent support and spine alignment. Average and heavy sleepers will find the medium-firm side more suitable for enjoying a comfortable sleep, and the softer side will be perfect for lightweight back sleepers.
- Stomach Sleepers: Stability and support are essential for stomach sleepers not to cause back or hip pain; thus, they need firmer mattresses. The Brentwood Crystal Clove, with its zoned comfort support, is ideal for stomach sleepers. Average and heavyweight stomach sleepers will sleep well on the firm side, whereas lightweight sleepers will enjoy the softer side.
- Combination Sleepers-Those who alternate between various positions: Combination sleepers tend to change positions while sleeping. This mattress is a great choice for combination sleepers. With dual firmness, both sides of the mattress will be appealing as they are very balanced, with neither side too soft or too firm. Both sides will adapt according to your body shape when you flip sides. The supportive coils system makes it easy for combination sleepers to change positions while sleeping.
|Twin||75L X 38W X 13H||NA||$1149||$1034||10%|
|Twin XL||80L X 38W X 13H||NA||$1199||$1079||10%|
|Full||75L X 54W X 13H||NA||$1379||$1241||10%|
|Queen||80L X 60W X 13H||NA||$1599||$1439||10%|
|King||80L X 76W X 13H||NA||$2069||$1862||10%|
|Cal King||84L X 72W X 13H||NA||$2069||$1862||10%|
Coupons & Deals
- Save $150 On Mattresses. USE CODE: FALL.
- Save 15% On Our Cypress Mattress. No code needed
- Save 15% On Organic Yoga.