We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
Helix Dusk MattressBy Brand: Helix Sleep
Helix Sleep deals Coupons
- 20% OFF SITEWIDE. USE CODE LDS20.
- 2 FREE Dream Pillows with Mattress Purchase ($150+ Value)!
The Helix Sleep Dusk is another medium category mattress by Helix that combines all the features of Midnight with newer features. It provides for body contouring and support for back and stomach sleepers and is available in two sizes – Standard and Luxe. The Helix Dusk Luxe is a universally appealing mattress as it offers relief for back and stomach sleepers and balanced lumbar support for the entire body. The Luxe variant is 2 inches thicker and is topped with an ultra-breathable Tencel cover. The use of Helix Dynamic Foam creates luxury support and loft in the mattress.
The Helix Dusk is CertiPUR-US certified, implying that no harmful chemicals are used in the make. Two free dream pillows come with each mattress purchase.
In this article, we will review Helix Dusk in detail. The review below highlights the key attributes, features, and pros/cons of the mattress.
- Material: The Helix Dusk comes with a polyester cover, the Helix Dynamic Foam comfort layer, and a pocketed coil support core on a high-density polyfoam base. In Luxe, the plush polyester ultra-cool premium pillow top is treated with phase technology that supports greater temperature regulation.
- Sizes: Both Helix Dusk and Dusk Luxe are available in all regular sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King
- Shipping & Delivery: Free shipping and delivery offered.
- Trial & Return: 100 nights trial period, a full refund, and pick up
- Warranty: Helix Dusk offers a 10-year warranty, while the Luxe provides 15 years warranty.
Pros & Cons
Helix Dusk is recommended for sleepers, who
- Prefer sleeping on their back or stomach
- Want contouring feel, without being stuck in the bed
- Want affordable bed
- Want long-lasting mattress
- Share their beds with their partners
Not so ideal for sleepers, who
- Our heavyweight stomach sleepers
- Prefer sleeping on their sides
- Want good pressure relief
- Prefer a memory foam feel
Firmness is a subjective matter. To some, a particular mattress may feel soft, while it may feel firm to others. Whether a mattress is soft, plush, or firm is purely defined based on personal preferences, choices, and body type. Whether a mattress feels firm or soft, it should support body weight, promote healthy spinal alignment, and ensure comfortable and restful sleeping.
Helix Dusk is a medium-firm mattress with firmness in the range of 3.5 – 7.5 on a scale of 10. Lightweight and average-weight stomach sleepers will feel comfortable in this firmness level. The firmness is enough to prevent the hips from sinking too deep into the mattress. Regardless of body type, the firmness of this mattress supports the hips and shoulders of back sleepers. However, lightweight side sleepers may find it to be a bit firm, and heavyweight stomach sleepers will not like the firmness of this mattress. The Dusk Luxe is more supportive and provides the right balance for most of the back and stomach sleepers. The Luxe version has four-sided full perimeter edge support that gives the mattress structural stability.
Material & Construction
The Helix Dusk is a hybrid mattress that is 12 inches tall and has 4 layers. It uses quality materials like other Helix models. The materials include a proprietary blend of foams, like Helix Dynamic foam and Memory Plus foams, which provide a unique blend of contour and responsiveness. Pocketed coils are used for support and cut down on motion transfer. The breathable mattress cover is soft to touch and stretches slightly. It is designed to allow maximum airflow to keep the person and the mattress cool throughout the night. The cover prevents sweaty nights.
The Luxe, the upgraded version, is 14 inches tall and comes in 6 layers. It includes high-quality features like a premium pillow top, a Tencel cover, zoned lumbar support, and other added features. The cover of Dusk Luxe is excessively soft and cooling. It comes in two options: an ultra-breathable TENCEL cover, designed for maximum airflow, or a GlacioTex Cooling cover made with fibers with a high thermal conductivity that wicks heat away from the body, giving a comfortable sleep.
The different layers in the mattress are detailed below:
- Layer 1: This is the first comfort layer, which is designed to give the benefits of latex and foam, delivering responsiveness, contouring, and ample cushioning to the user.
- Layer 2: The proprietary memory foam of Helix makes for the transition layer with a medium feel, offering fantastic contouring, support, and pressure relief to the user.
- Layer 3: The support layer comprises hundreds of individually encased coils, which provide extra support and cushion to the body. In Helix Dusk, there are 950 individually wrapped 8 inches steel coil, whereas in the Dusk Luxe, there are up to 1500 individually wrapped 8 inches steel coils, thus making the Luxe firmer than the normal. The coils in Luxe provide zoned lumbar support that helps to cradle the body and provide proper spine alignment.
- Layer 4: The sturdy base layer is high-density polyfoam for enhanced durability and motion isolation.
|Helix Dusk Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Repositioning means that a person can switch positions during sleep easily. Again, those who toss and turn pay attention to mattress responsiveness. It measures how quickly one can become comfortable after changing positions and how one can make an easy move. The Helix Dusk and Luxe, owing to the use of dynamic foam in the upper layers and coils in the support layer, gives a firm and bouncy feel, which leads to easy movement across the bed,
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
With the variety of mattresses available in the market, it isn’t easy to choose the right one. The right mattress can help get a good night’s sleep, which leads to the feeling of rest and refreshment upon waking up. Pain relief is another important feature that people look for while buying a mattress. Back pain can be relieved only when the spine is relaxed. A mattress with good support and a cradle to the spine is often a good choice for sleepers who suffer from back pain.
The hybrid Helix Dusk is one of the frontline mattresses that give good support to the spine. It offers a firm and bouncy feel. This is due to the dynamic and responsive foam it has in the top layer and the presence of bouncy coils in the bed’s support layer. The zoned support in the Luxe versions offers enhanced middle-spine support and pressure relief for hips and shoulders.
The suitability of the mattress for different sleeping positions is detailed below:
- Back sleepers: The medium-firm feel of the Helix Dusk makes the mattress an excellent choice for back sleepers. It supports the shoulders, hips, back, legs and keeps the spine perfectly aligned. Lightweight back sleepers may feel the mattress slightly firm, but average-weight and heavyweight back sleepers feel very comfortable. People weighing 300 pounds, however, should go for another firm mattress.
- Side sleepers: Side sleepers require a certain level of softness to feel comfortable in their beds. Side sleepers over 130 pounds will feel the mattress too firm as they will not get the required pressure relief for their hips and shoulders. Softer versions of Helix such as Sunset, Moonlight, or Midnight can be a good choice for side sleepers.
- Stomach sleepers: Extra support is needed for stomach sleepers in their hip, shoulder, and neck area. As stomach sleepers sleep with their heads turned on one side, they are prone to feel the sinking of their hips into the mattress. They also feel discomfort because of the spine being not appropriately aligned. The Helix Dusk will help lightweight and average-weight stomach sleepers stay comfortable, but heavyweight stomach sleepers might feel sinkage in the hips, thus wanting a firmer mattress. The Luxe can be a fit for some heavyweight stomach sleepers.
- Heavy sleepers: Larger people, like plus-sized individuals, have their own needs when it comes to choosing their beds which is unique. The zoned support technology of the Dusk Luxe offers a lot of support around the hips, thus making it to be a good choice for heavy back sleepers. Heavy side sleepers would also like the Luxe for its point pressure relief support and healthy spine alignment.
Cooling & Temperature Control
The most critical condition determining the quality and duration of the body’s recovery during sleep is an adequate decrease in the core body temperature. The Helix Dusk offers a cool sleep, as it has a breathable cover and the presence of coils that allow for plenty of airflow through the mattress so that heat doesn’t get trapped. Added premium quilted top cover in the Luxe version gives extra comfort. The cover of Luxe is not only super soft but is cooling and naturally breathable, which promotes optimal airflow.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
Because Helix Dusk is a bouncy mattress, it does okay but is not excellent in motion transfer. Sleepers will tend to feel some bounce on the top of the mattress, which implies that the partners might feel movements during the night. Couples sharing beds need to be aware of this as it might disturb partners while sleeping. Those wanting good motion isolation should go for memory foam top-up models. The mattress may be a bit noisy when there is robust movement; otherwise, it is a quiet mattress. The bed is great for sex due to its responsive composition and bounce.
The Helix Dusk offers good edge support since it primarily comprises supportive coils. The individually wrapped coil layers in standard Dusk (up to 950 coils) and Luxe (up to 1500 coils) helps the edges of the mattress to hold up distinctively, thus giving a secure feeling while sitting and lying down near the edges of the mattress. Heavy sleepers can also believe that this Helix model will provide them with the necessary support while sitting or lying on edge. Helix beds feature reinforced perimeter coils (standard Dusk is two sides supported, while the Luxe is supported along all four sides), enhancing edge support and making the surface maximum usable while sharing beds with others.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
A night of good sleep is essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but according to the National Institute of Health (NIH), about 7 – 19% of adults in the United States do not get enough sleep. The brand Helix is linked with the concept of sleep DNA, which the company mentions on its website. Each of us has a different sleep DNA or specific needs for comfort and support; thus, it becomes difficult for many people to find what they need when choosing between just one or two mattresses. Though Helix does not make a different mattress for every person, they offer a wide range of options that meet most sleepers’ needs. Helix Midnight is a good choice for every sleeping position.
Below is a detailed description of how the Helix Dusk is an excellent fit for different sleep positions.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers who weigh light might get enough pressure relief in this position, but if a side sleeper weighs more than 130 pounds, they will probably find this bed too firm. Heavyweight side sleepers will probably find this mattress too firm and may experience pressure around their shoulders and hips. Lightweight side sleepers who don’t require luxurious comfort or body contouring could have a comfortable stay in this position.
- Back Sleepers: The Helix Dusk offers excellent support for average-weight back sleepers, who will enjoy plenty of spinal support and pressure relief in this position. It should be supportive for a majority of heavyweight back sleepers. However, people who weigh more than 300 pounds might have to opt for a firmer mattress. Lightweight back sleepers will enjoy comfortable spinal support on the mattress.
- Stomach Sleepers: Due to the supportive structure of the mattress, it implies that the lightweight stomach sleepers will remain well-supported. Though it’s relatively firm, the Helix Dusk mattress might not be supportive enough for heavyweight stomach sleepers, who might experience discomfort as their hips could bow into the mattress and the spine could be tugged out of alignment. Due to the firm nature of this mattress, it can be a preference for many average-weight stomach sleepers.
- Combination Sleepers-Those who alternate between various positions: Combination sleepers tend to change positions while sleeping. They sleep well on a mattress that has is bouncy and has good responsiveness. The Helix Dusk being highly responsive, quickly adjusts to changing positions during sleeping. For light and average weight combo sleepers’ movement on the Dusk and the Luxe model is relatively easy, thus making the mattress a good choice for these groups. However, heavyweight combination sleepers may not be comfortable adjusting to different sleeping positions.
Coupons & Deals
- 20% OFF SITEWIDE. USE CODE LDS20.
- 2 FREE Dream Pillows with Mattress Purchase ($150+ Value)!