We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
Helix Midnight MattressBy Brand: Helix Sleep
Helix Sleep deals Coupons
- 20% OFF SITEWIDE. USE CODE LDS20.
- 2 FREE Dream Pillows with Mattress Purchase ($150+ Value)!
The Helix Midnight is the most popular Helix mattress, belonging to the medium feel category. It has a balanced feel at the top, with a bit of groove at the base. Like the Sunset variant, it offers pressure point relief and supports side sleepers. It comes in two variants – Normal and Luxe, the latter featuring Helixs’ advanced sleep technology. The Luxe variant also comes with a Gel Visco layer for pressure relief in addition to the Memory Plus Foam.
The Helix Midnight is 12 inches thick and is designed primarily for side sleepers. The Luxe version is 14 inches thick and is slightly firmer than the standard model. The foams are tested to meet CertiPUR-US rigorous emissions, content, performance, and durability standards.
In this article, we will review Helix Midnight in detail. The review below highlights the key attributes, features, and pros/cons of the mattress.
- Material: The Helix Midnight uses memory foam and dynamic foam in different densities for its construction, with individual, pocketed coils and a high-density base layer. A breathable cooling cover allows optimal airflow for a great night’s sleep. The Midnight Luxe adds a viscous gel layer and a premium quilted top.
- Sizes: Both Helix Midnight and Midnight Luxe are available in all regular sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King
- Shipping & Delivery: Free shipping and delivery offered.
- Trial & Return: 100 nights trial period, a full refund, and pick up
- Warranty: Helix Midnight offers a 10-year warranty, while the Luxe provides 15 years warranty.
Pros & Cons
Helix Moonlight is recommended for sleepers, who
- Prefer sleeping on their sides
- Are fond of memory foam
- Prefer medium firmness
- Wants a cooling bed to sleep on
Not so ideal for sleepers, who
- Our heavyweight stomach sleepers
- Want firm feel
- Weigh above 250 pounds
Firmness is a subjective matter. To some, a particular mattress may feel soft, while it may feel firm to others. Whether a mattress is soft, plush, or firm is purely defined based on personal preferences, choices, and body type. Whether a mattress feels firm or soft, it should support body weight, promote healthy spinal alignment, and ensure comfortable and restful sleeping.
The Helix Midnight is a medium-firm mattress with firmness in the range of 3.5-7.5 on the firmness scale of 10. The mattress is bouncy, supportive, and does not put much pressure on the joints. The hybrid construction makes it easy to roll around, thus making changing positions easy at night. The Luxe version additionally features an extra pillow top layer and zoned support. The zoned support layers make the sleepers feel soft at the shoulders for targeted pressure relief but firm near the hips to promote proper spine alignment. The Luxe being firmer than the standard Midnight is excellent for those suffering from back pain.
Material & Construction
The Helix Midnight is a bed in a box hybrid mattress which is 12 inches thick and has 4 layers. The mattress comprises foam layers that are carefully selected to match the sleeping needs and preferences. The breathable mattress cover is soft to touch and stretches slightly. It is designed to allow maximum airflow to keep the person and the mattress cool throughout the night. The cover helps to prevent sweaty nights.
The Luxe version is 14 inches thick and comes in 6 layers. It also features enhanced comfort layers that provide pressure relief and targeted ergonomic support. The zoned lumbar support in Luxe helps to maintain spine alignment and provides back pressure relief. The cover of Midnight Luxe is excessively soft and cooling. It comes in two options: an ultra-breathable TENCEL cover, designed for maximum airflow, or a GlacioTex Cooling cover made with fibers with a high thermal conductivity that wicks heat away from the body, giving a comfortable sleep. Additionally, the Luxe also provides a premium quilted pillow top for extra comfort and cushioning.
The different layers in the mattress are detailed below:
- Layer 1: It is the topmost comfort layer made of memory foam; it provides pressure relief and gives the mattress its medium firmness. The Helix Luxe has an extra two-layered comfort layer. Beneath the first layer, which is memory foam akin to the regular Midnight, there is also a layer of gel visco foam that gives extra contouring and pressure relief.
- Layer 2: The transition layer is the second layer in both versions of the Midnight mattress. This high-grade polyfoam layer separates the memory foam from the pocketed coils below and offers appropriate support and comfort as per the body type.
- Layer 3: This layer comprises individually wrapped coils that help support the sleeper’s weight and limit motion transfer. In Helix Midnight, there are 950 individually wrapped 8 inches steel coils. In contrast, there are up to 1500 individually wrapped 8 inches steel coils in the Midnight Luxe, thus making the Luxe firmer than the normal. The coils in Luxe provide zoned lumbar support that helps to cradle the body and provide proper spine alignment.
- Layer 4: The base layer is a thick foam layer of DuraDense foam that gives the mattress its durability and prevents it from sagging.
|Helix Midnight Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Repositioning means that a person can switch positions during sleep easily. Again, those who toss and turn pay attention to mattress responsiveness. It measures how quickly one can become comfortable after changing positions and how one can make an easy move. The Midnight offers a layer of individually wrapped coils that help easily change positions without disturbing one’s partner.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
With the variety of mattresses available in the market, it isn’t easy to choose the right one. The right mattress can help get a good night’s sleep, which leads to the feeling of rest and refreshment upon waking up. Pain relief is another important feature that people look for while buying a mattress. Helix Midnight is awesome in relieving pressure from the lower back knees and works well with sleepers suffering from shoulder pain. Both the models, standard and Luxe, provide good cushioning to the shoulders and give relief from stiffness and pain.
The Helix Midnight mattress offers an equitable foam feeling with a good response. The Memory Plus Foam on the top gives the mattress touch of a slow-moving feel, but, on the whole, it is bouncier, and it makes it easy for the sleeper to move around. It will also be great with pain relief, making this one of the best mattresses in the market for helping with fibromyalgia and arthritis. The Helix Midnight is a cool mattress because of the presence of a breathable cover and its hybrid design.
The suitability of the mattress for different sleeping positions is detailed below:
- Back sleepers: Both the Helix Midnight and Luxe offer a balance of comfort and support for back sleepers. Both lightweight and average-weight back sleepers will find the mattress to relieve them of pressure while lying on their backs. For heavyweight sleepers, the Helix Plus is a good choice.
- Side sleepers: The Helix Midnight and the Midnight Luxe are perfect for side sleepers of almost all body types. Each of the layers in the Midnight is designed to support the contours of your body, allowing shoulders and hips to settle down perfectly. The layers also help maintain proper lateral spine alignment, which leads to less pain and aches upon waking up in the morning.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers may find medium-firm mattresses too soft to support their lower back, but Helix Midnight provides the necessary support for lightweight and average-weight stomach sleepers. Both the groups will feel no lower back arching when they lay on their stomach. Heavyweight sleepers will find the normal Helix Midnight to be sinking around their hips; thus, they should look for firmer options such as the Midnight Luxe or other firm mattresses from Helix.
- Heavy sleepers: Larger people, like plus-sized individuals, have their own needs when it comes to choosing their beds which is unique. The zoned support technology of the Midnight Luxe offers a lot of support around the hips, thus making it a good choice for heavy back sleepers. Heavy side sleepers would also like the Luxe for its point pressure relief support and healthy spine alignment.
Cooling & Temperature Control
The most critical condition that determines the quality and duration of the body’s recovery during sleep is an adequate decrease in the core body temperature. The temperature control of Helix Midnight and Midnight Luxe mattresses is extraordinary as sleepers won’t feel overheated at any point in time. The hybrid construction allows optimal airflow, and the breathable cover keeps the surface cool.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
The Helix Midnight mattress offers great motion transfer for a hybrid mattress. It has a layer of Memory Plus Foam on top, which helps prevent too much motion transfer between sides of the mattress; it can be a good choice for couples. The Luxe being firmer gives excellent motion isolation, making sharing a bed with one’s partner easier than most mattresses. The zoned support in Luxe helps to minimize the effect of movement felt by a partner when the other partner makes a move.
The Helix Midnight comes with robust edge support; the user feels secure while sitting and lying near the edge of the mattress. The two-sided lengthwise edge support in the regular Midnight provides excellent support for structural reinforcement, while in Luxe entire perimeter four-sided edge support gives complete structural ability. Thus, the strong edge support of the mattress makes it good for sleepers to move onto the edges while sleeping without the fear of falling off.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
Good sleep is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but according to the National Institute of Health (NIH), about 7 – 19% of adults in the United States do not get enough sleep. The brand Helix is linked with the concept of sleep DNA, which the company mentions on its website. Each one of us has unique sleep DNA or specific needs for comfort and support thus, it’s difficult for many people to find what they need when choosing between just one or two mattresses. Though Helix does not make a different mattress for every person, they offer a wide range of options that meet most sleepers’ needs. Helix Midnight is a good choice for every sleeping position.
Below is a detailed description of how the Helix Midnight is a good fit for different sleep positions.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleeping average weighing people shall feel good comfort around their hips and shoulders. If someone is on the larger side, he might experience discomfort around the hips and shoulders; for people on the lighter side, it shall offer good comfort and support.
- Back Sleepers: For average back sleepers, it offers great comfort and support. If a person is on the heavier side, i.e., more than 230 pounds, it won’t provide great support, but if one weighs less than 230 pounds, he will get good support and comfort. The mattress gives comfort to lightweight sleepers.
- Stomach Sleepers: Average-weight stomach sleepers can get good support from the mattress; heavyweight sleepers might need firmness, as they might experience dips while sleeping on their hip side. It shall offer good support to lightweight sleepers.
- Combination Sleepers-Those who alternate between various positions: Combination sleepers tend to change positions while sleeping. The Helix Midnight is a great bed for combination sleepers. Combination sleepers prone to tossing and turning will find the mattress to provide great comfort in every position, thus ensuring a good night’s sleep. The strong edge support and great motion isolation offered by both variants of Helix Midnight make it a great choice for combination sleepers.
Coupons & Deals
- 20% OFF SITEWIDE. USE CODE LDS20.
- 2 FREE Dream Pillows with Mattress Purchase ($150+ Value)!