We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
Helix Sunset MattressBy Brand: Helix Sleep
Helix Sleep deals Coupons
- 20% OFF SITEWIDE. USE CODE LDS20.
- 2 FREE Dream Pillows with Mattress Purchase ($150+ Value)!
Helix is a bed-in-box mattress with an extensive product catalog and offers personalized sleep quizzes to match customers with the perfect mattress. It has a bed for different sleeping positions and every body type, thus making the brand inclusive and versatile. Everyone will find a suitable mattress that fits their body type and sleeping preferences. Helix offers mattresses that feature all the three firmness levels of ‘Soft’, ‘Medium’ and ‘Firm’, thus giving people a wide variety to choose from according to their preferences.
Helix offers six different types of mattresses with different firmness and support. Every mattress is built with memory foam of different thicknesses, wrapped coils, and a dynamic latex foam hybrid to deliver a perfect bed. The six variety is listed below:
- Helix Sunset Mattress
- Helix Moonlight Mattress
- Helix Midnight Mattress
- Helix Dusk Mattress
- Helix Twilight Mattress
- Helix Dawn Mattress
Helix mattresses are hybrid mattresses that provide a combination of foam comfort and transition layers with a coil core. Standard and Luxury versions of all Helix mattresses are available (Helix uses the name “Luxe” to designate Luxury). Its advanced sleep technology incorporates zoned lumbar support for enhanced contouring. Premium quilted pillow tops and an Ultra-Breathable Tencel cover are included in the Luxe model. Helix also sells organic mattresses. Mattresses are also available for plus-sized people.
In this article, we will review Helix Sunset in detail. It’s the most popular Helix hybrid mattress and is 12 inches thick. The review below highlights the key attributes, features, and pros/cons of the mattress.
- Material: The Helix Sunset comes with a supportive base of pocketed coils on a high-density polyfoam bed, a comfort layer consisting of Helix’s Memory Plus Foam, and a cover made of polyester. Sunset Luxe, in addition, features zoned lumbar support a premium quilted top with either a TENCEL cover or GlacioTex cover.
- Sizes: Both Helix Sleep Sunset and Sunset Luxe are available in all regular sizes: Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King
- Shipping & Delivery: Free shipping and delivery offered.
- Trial & Return: 100 nights trial period, a full refund, and pick up
- Warranty: Helix Sunset offers a 10-year limited warranty, while the Luxe provides 15 years warranty.
Pros & Cons
Helix Sunset is recommended for sleepers, who
- Prefer sleeping on their side
- Weigh under 130 pounds
- Want extra cushioning to relieve sharp pressure points
- Want excellent pressure relief
- Struggle with joint pain
Not so ideal for sleepers, who
- Weigh above 130 pounds
- Sleep on their stomach
- Are looking for a responsive bed
- Want firmer surface to sleep on with the less hugging feel
Firmness is a subjective matter. To some, a particular mattress may feel soft, while it may feel firm to others. Whether a mattress feels firm or soft, it should support body weight, promote healthy spinal alignment, and ensure comfortable and restful sleeping. Whether a mattress is soft, plush, or firm is purely defined based on personal preferences, choices, and body type.
The Helix Sunset is the softest mattress in the Helix lineup and firmness lies between 1.5-3.5 in a firmness sclae of 10. The mattress offers a comfort layer of soft memory foam and a transition layer for ergonomic support and cushioning. These layers give pressure relief and are recommended for side sleepers.
Material & Construction
Helix is known to construct all its mattresses considering the different sleep positions and weight groups. Helix Sunset is 12 inches thick and belongs to the Soft Feel category. It gives the feeling of sinking into something very soft and cozy and is suitable for pressure point relief. The memory foam is designed with “microscopic air capsules” that give curve-conforming pressure relief with more resilience and breathability than natural memory foam.
The Sunset Luxe is 14 inches high, has a pillow-top, contouring memory foam, and a support core of zoned pocket springs. The two memory foams have been designed to give a soft and contouring feel.
The mattress comprises 4 layers which are detailed below:
- Layer 1: It is the Memory Plus Foam comfort layer. This top layer is made of ultra-soft memory foam, which helps in creating a cloud-like feel that relieves pressure points.
- Layer 2: This layer is the Helix Dynamic Foam transition layer which consists of a soft polyfoam giving a soft feel and is designed for extra cushioning. Additionally, in Luxe, a layer of high-grade polyfoam is used, which provides ergonomic support.
- Layer 3: This layer features the pocketed coil support layer and is the supportive layer that consists of individually-encased coils for high responsiveness and support. In Luxe, more than 1000 individually wrapped coils provide zoned lumbar support. In both the model of Sunset, the reinforced perimeters help to make the edges stronger, thus cradling the sleeper’s body.
- Layer 4: The base layer, also known as the Dura dense foam layer, is made up of high-density polyfoam. It absorbs motion and enhances durability.
The standard Sunset mattress cover is soft to touch polyester cover that stretches enough to move along the comfort layer. The cover material is breathable and allows air circulation into the mattress, thus giving an incredible feeling. In Luxe, the top cover is made of Tencel, a plant-based fabric. This fabric provides the cover smooth and silky touch and makes it highly breathable. This soft-to-touch feeling is enhanced when the cover is quilted with a thin layer of polyfoam.
|Helix Sunset Mattress|
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)||Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)||Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)||Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)|
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner|
Repositioning means that a person can switch positions during sleep easily. The Helix Sunset offers ease of movement, which is provided by its construction. Though the memory foam comfort layers tend to hug the sleepers’ body, it is balanced by the underneath pocketed coils that give the required bounce and support. The mattress makes it easy for couples to move around on the surface and change positions without making much noise. The mattress thus performs above average with respect to other hybrid models.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
With the different variety of mattresses available in the market, it isn’t easy to choose the right one. The right mattress can help get a good night’s sleep, which leads to the feeling of rest and refreshment upon waking up. Muscles, ligaments, and spine can fully relax only when one is sleeping. With an injury in the back or any other disorder, maximum sleep is essential in the healing process. To attain optimal sleep, the choice of mattress is of prime importance as it is the mattress that determines whether you sleep comfortably, providing maximum relief to the muscles and different pressure points. As Helix offers a wide variety of mattresses, sleepers’ can choose one according to their needs and preferences.
The Helix Sunset offers soft plush comfort to the sleeper due to a soft-top layer. It also gives the best authentic memory foam experience since both the comfort and transition layers are made of memory foam. It doesn’t trap a lot of heat due to its breathable cover and coils, which allow airflow through the whole mattress. Helix Sunset alleviates pressure on the shoulder, hip, and knee joints. Luxe’s additional zoned support coils give targeted pressure relief and aid in strong edges. The suitability of the mattress for different sleeping positions is detailed below:
- Back sleepers: Helix Sunset, a very soft mattress, does not give enough support for sleeping on the back as the hips tend to sink into the mattress, disrupting proper spine alignment.
- Side sleepers: The Helix Sunset works well for side sleepers, though its plush feel may be too soft for some. Side sleepers will find maximum pressure relief at the shoulders and hips while lying on this mattress. The mattress ranks one of the best for hip pain.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers need a supportive mattress to not only sleep in comfortably at night but also keep the alignment of the spine properly. Helix Sunset being a soft mattress, does not provide the necessary support for average-weight stomach sleepers.
- Heavy sleepers: Helix Sunset is ideally suited for lightweight sleepers, as their lighter weight means that they won’t be pressing the mattress’s comfort layers; hence they might be able to obtain more incredible support on Helix Sunset. So, if you are a sleeper under 130 pounds, then you shall be in a better position to enjoy pressure relief around the hip and shoulder.
Cooling & Temperature Control
The most important condition determining the quality and duration of the body’s recovery during sleep is an adequate decrease in the core body temperature. The Helix Sunset mattress performs average in terms of sleeping cool. Memory foam is known for its heat trapping tendency, as it traps and retains heat throughout the night. Still, the coil cores used in the construction of Helix Sunset allow air to circulate throughout the mattress, thus balancing heat retention. Tencel, a plant-based fabric in the Luxe model, makes the pillow top ultra-breathable and super soft, while the choice of GlacioTex cover makes both the sleeper and the mattress stay cool throughout the night as it dissipates the heat from the body.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
Though Helix Sunset has the presence of coils, which are known for motion transferring across the bed, it has been designed so that the motion transfer is reduced to a significant extent; the thick memory foam layer absorbs movement. This is ideally suited for couples who wish to sleep peacefully at night without disturbing each other.
The tendency of the foam layers to sink into the mattress because of the bodyweight makes getting out of the bed difficult. But due to the presence of layer coils in the Helix Sunset, the user experiences solid edge support, even when sitting on the side of the bed or lying near the edges. More than 1000 individually wrapped coils and reinforced perimeter along all four sides in the Sunset Luxe helps with strong edge support.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
A good sleep is crucial to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but according to the National Institute of Health (NIH), about 7 – 19% of adults in the United States do not get enough sleep. The brand Helix is linked with the concept of sleep DNA, which the company mentions on its website. Each of us has a different sleep DNA or specific needs for comfort and support; thus, it becomes difficult for many people to find what they need when choosing between just one or two mattresses. Though Helix does not make a different mattress for every person, they offer a wide range of options that meet most sleepers’ needs.
Below is a detailed description of how the Helix Sunset is a good fit for different sleep postures.
- Side Sleepers: Helix Sunset is good for side sleepers, who turn and toss at night. The middle layers of the mattress are designed to support the body contours.
- Back Sleepers: It is not the best mattress for offering comfort to the average weighted back sleeper, as it doesn’t provide much support to the sleeper in this position.
- Stomach Sleepers: It isn’t best suited for average weighted stomach sleepers, as it won’t offer the desired comfort level. When it comes to the heavyweight (230 pounds plus) stomach sleepers, this won’t offer the much-needed support they shall be looking for.
- Combination Sleepers-Those who alternate between various positions: Combination sleepers tend to change positions while sleeping. The Helix Sunset, though remarkably soft, may not be supportive enough for black sleeping, but those who change sleeping positions from back to side to stomach may find the mattress to be a good fit. The mattress cushions the pressure points, thus being recommended as the best for those who suffer from hip pain.
Coupons & Deals
- 20% OFF SITEWIDE. USE CODE LDS20.
- 2 FREE Dream Pillows with Mattress Purchase ($150+ Value)!