We gather information on mattress industry, product, pricing, customer reviews and financial information from more than 50+ websites daily through our automated “bots” and use advanced data analytics techniques to evaluate and rate mattresses.
Our reviews are updated at least once a week in cases of changes, product releases, and new insights gathered from analyzing our data set.
We present our mattress reviews in a Q&A format with the intent of mirroring the thought process of how customers make mattress purchase decisions
Tuft and Needle Original MattressBy Brand: Tuft and Needle
Tuft and Needle deals Coupons
- Save 20% on all mattresses.
- Plus, save 20% on bedding and accessories.
Tuft & Needle is one of the most popular American mattress brands. Brand Started operation in 2012. The brand offers three different mattresses: Tuft & Needle Mattress, the Mint Mattress, and the Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress. The first two models are all-foam variants, while the third one, as the name suggests, is a hybrid model.
This article will review the Tuft and Needle Mattress in-depth in terms of firmness, cooling, construction, pricing, etc. Do keep reading to help you decide if it suits you or not.
It is the brand’s flagship model, which comes at an affordable price range. The Tuft & Needle mattress is an all-foam variant with two layers of high-density polyfoam to minimize motion transfer. The bed offers a medium-firm feel and balances support and comfort.
- Material: All Foam
The T&N Original Mattress using patented T&N Adaptive® foam technology provides body contouring and responsiveness. This 10-inch tall mattress consists of only two layers with a breathable cover. A med-firm feels best for back and stomach sleepers in the average weight category.
- Sizes: Available in all regular sizes like Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, Split King
- Pricing: Depends on size
- Shipping & Delivery: Free
- Trial & Return: 100-day trial, full refund, and pickup
- Warranty: 10 years limited mattress warranty
Pros & Cons
The T&N Original Mattress using patented T&N Adaptive® foam technology provides body contouring and responsiveness. Brands patented foam helps prevent deep body imprints while removing heat and wetness for a night of deep, restful sleep. For back and stomach sleepers’ mattress is a great choice.
Q1. Who would you recommend the Tuft and Needle Original Mattress to?
- Searching Affordable mattress
- Desiring good pressure relief.
- Choosing motion transfer well.
Q2. Who should avoid the Tuft and Needle Original Mattress?
- Heavy sleepers may sink in.
- Does not provide the signature memory foam hug.
- Edges may sag in.
Firmness measurement is relative to body weight. We are giving the industry standards related to moderate-weight persons.
The T&N Original Mattress comes in only one firmness level- Medium Firm. Numerically it represents six on a firmness scale of 1-10.
This med-firm is most suitable for the majority of sleepers. An exception is always there. Individual lifestyle and preferences are vital factors for selecting the firmness level for a mattress. Sleeping comfortably with healthy spinal alignment is necessary for muscle relaxation and waking up pain-free. A mattress med-firm for one can be too firm for lightweight folks or soft for the heavy category.
Material & Construction
Q1. What are the unique technology, design, and materials used in the construction of the Tuft and Needle Original Mattress?
The construction is straightforward, with just two layers of foam. T&N Adaptive® foam comes with a supportive base layer to prevent sinking into the mattress. This versatile mattress is compatible with the majority of structures.
- Cover: The top layer is of breathable hand-crafted cover. Sleepers get the option to purchase additional microbial protection by HeiQ with a payment of $50.
- Layer 1: A 3-inch thick layer of patented T&N adaptive foam lies underneath the cotton cover. It provides extra comfort pressure relief and regulates temperature. The infusion of thermally conductive graphite and cooling gel eliminates body heat.
- Layer 2: This 7-inch base layer is made up of polyfoam. This layer gives the mattress the structure and the support. The polyfoam is with an open-cell design. This structure allows air circulation keeping the mattress cool. The high-density polyfoam maintains the form of the bed giving long-term durability.
|Tuft and Needle Original Mattress
|Materials & Construction (1=Least, 5=Best)
|Repositioning (1=Least, 5=Best)
|Comfort (1=Least, 5=Best)
|Cooling (1=Least, 5=Best)
|Motion Isolation (1=Least, 5=Best)
|Edge Support (1=Least, 5=Best)
|Rating Scale: 1 = Average, 2 = Good, 3 = Very Good, 4 = Excellent, 5 = Winner
Q1. How would you rate Tuft and Needle Original Mattress from a repositioning & responsiveness perspective?
The adaptive comfort layer in T& N bed is more responsive than most memory foam comfort layers. So, it is easier to switch positions or move from one side to the other side of the bed.
Generally, memory foam tends to respond slowly to fluctuations in pressure; polyfoam bounces back more quickly, so sleepers shouldn’t experience the “quicksand” feel often related to close contouring. Additionally, the medium-firm sensation doesn’t allow much sinkage, further contributing to the mattress’s ease of movement.
This mixture of materials and firmness makes the Tuft & Needle Mattress excellent responsive compared to most all-foam models.
Comfort, Back Support, Pressure Relief
Q2. How would you rate Tuft and Needle Original Mattress for providing comfort and pressure relief to sleepers?
The Tuft & Needle mattress performs reasonably well in providing pressure point relief. The polyfoam comfort layer cradles your body and allows for just the right amount of sink, while the high-density support core prevents you from the uncomfortable “hug” of the bed. The graphite and ceramic gel infusion in the comfort layer wick away heat from your body. The support core has an open cell structure that enables more excellent air circulation within the mattress.
Generally, foam mattresses, particularly memory foam mattresses, tend to cradle the sleeper’s body, redistributing body weight. This can help relieve aches and pains in the mattress areas that exert the most force. T & N does allow excellent pressure relief but does not allow body contouring as available in a memory foam mattress.
- Back Sleepers: People sleeping on their back tend to require more support — particularly around the hips, which may sink into softer mattresses and prevent proper spinal alignment. Tuft and Needle Original, a medium-firm bed, provides good upward thrust to the hip area to keep the spine aligned. Back sleepers also require minor pressure relief, as the position causes fewer pressure points than other sleep styles.
- Side sleepers: Side sleepers may have a challenge with Tuft and Needle Original. Since the upper comfort layer is made entirely of foam, which is firm across the entire surface area, it may reflect pressure on the shoulder and not allow the body’s upper portion to sink in. It may create pressure points and reduce pressure relief.
- Stomach sleepers: Achieving good spinal alignment for stomach sleepers can often be trickier as the hips can tend to sink too far with some mattresses. Stability and support are significant for “stomach sleepers” to not cause back or hip pain. A medium-firm configuration prevents lightweight stomach sleepers from sinking in and creating a spinal curvature.
- Heavy sleepers: For heavy people, the 3-inch thickness of the top layer may not provide enough uplift, and there is a likelihood that the stomach area could sink in and touch the base foam layer creating an uncomfortable sleeping position.
Cooling & Temperature Control
Q3. How would you rate the cooling and overall temperature control characteristics of Tuft and Needle Original Mattress?
Memory foam comfort layers habitually absorb heat from the sleeper’s body. The Tuft & Needle with remarkable adaptive foam help sleeper to remain calm at night.
The polyester breathable cover ensures steady airflow into the mattress. Even if one opts for HeiQ NPJ03 antimicrobial treatment, it will not upset the cover’s thermoregulation properties.
The upper comfort layer in T&N Adaptive Foam has an infusion of ceramic gel and graphite to absorb and redistribute heat. Additionally, Open-cell polyfoam in the base layer enhances air circulation and dissipates heat faster. Overall the T & N original lets sleepers enjoy a calm sleep.
Motion Isolation and Sharing a Bed
Q4. Does Tuft and Needle Original Mattress provide reasonable motion isolation when sharing a bed with others?
The Tuft & Needle mattress performs exceptionally well in absorbing motion transfer within the mattress. The dense foam layers eliminate motion vibrations and prevent you from getting disturbed.
Q5. How would you rate the edge support of Tuft and Needle Original Mattress?
The dense polyfoam layers offer decent edge support. You may feel safe while sitting or lying near the edges. However, too much pressure near the edges may lead to some sinkage.
Recommendation based on sleeping style
No matter what position we sleep in, we all need to sleep well so our bodies can heal and rejuvenate. There are three sleep postures: Side, back, and stomach sleepers. Therefore, all three have different needs and specific experiences regarding the comfort, support, and flexibility that the mattress should offer them.
- Side Sleepers: The mattress is suitable for average to heavyweight side sleepers as they shall experience ample cradling and comfort.
- Back Sleepers: Being a medium-firm mattress, a back sleeper of every weight shall find the Tuft & Needle original mattress supportive and comforting.
- Stomach Sleepers: The mattress is ideal for light and average-weight stomach sleepers as they will enjoy ample support and pressure relief. However, heavy sleepers may find this mattress somewhat less supportive.
- Combination Sleepers: T & N is excellent for combination sleepers. The two layers provide exceptional pressure relief and balance.
- Heavy Sleepers: Comfortable with most sleepers, a single comfort layer brand suggests sleepers below 350 lbs to use this mattress.
Coupons & Deals
- Save 20% on all mattresses.
- Plus, save 20% on bedding and accessories.